Library resources for art history
Specialist training courses and guided tours
The SULB runs training courses and guided tours so that users can get acquainted with the collections and resources relevant to their particular subject area and can learn how to make best use of the library and its services.
For information on our recent acquisitions, please refer to the acquisitions list, which is updated daily and archived at the end of each month.
The DBIS database information system lists bibliographies, full-text databases and dictionaries in your subject area.
The textbook collection is an open-shelf resource containing multiple copies of popular textbooks and course books that are used by students during their studies and when preparing for examinations. Items in the textbook collection can be taken out on loan. Items in the textbook collection can be taken out on loan.
Textbook Collection – Art History
For a list of SULB-subscribed and open access e-journals in the fields of art and photography, please refer to the:
Printed journals for which the SULB or one of the other libraries on campus has a subscription are listed in the national periodicals database (ZDB – Zeitschriftendatenbank). As only a few e-journals are indexed in the ZDB, please consult the EZB for a full list of available electronic journal titles.
Department of Art History and Cultural Studies
Departmental student council – Art History
General information for students
Studying at Saarland University
The Saarland University online course catalogue
As part of the new DFG programme “Specialized information services for Researchers” Sächsische Landesbibliothek- Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Dresden and Universitätsbibliothek Heidelberg are expanding their existing offers to a joint Specialized Information Service art, photografie, design.
- The Saar Art Encyclopaedia (Kunstlexikon Saar)
A project of the Institute of Contemporary Art in Saarland (Institut für aktuelle Kunst im Saarland) at the University of Art and Design Saar (Hochschule der Bildenden Künste – HBKsaar) that aims to record contemporary art in Saarland as well as art produced before 1945, with special emphasis on the cultural development of Saarland.
- Information on the arts in Saarland is available via the ‘Culture’ section of the state government’s saarland.de website.
This resource provides information on the most important arts institutions, support and sponsorship for artists, art schools and colleges, and advocacy groups and professional associations. Links to available websites are provided.
- HBKsaar – The University of Art and Design Saar (Hochschule der Bildenden Künste)
HBKsaar was established in 1989 and its Department of Visual Arts offers study programmes covering all visual arts media, from painting and sculpture to audiovisual and computer-generated art. The Department of Design offers degree programmes in communication design and product design.
- The Institute of Contemporary Art in Saarland (Institut für aktuelle Kunst im Saarland) at HBKsaar, the University of Art and Design Saar (Hochschule der Bildenden Künste)
The Institute of Contemporary Art in Saarland collects information about artists and art in Saarland and makes it available to interested members of the public. It also acts as an exhibition and meeting space for artists, art mediators and those interested in the visual arts.
Museums and exhibition venues
- The Saarland Museums Association (Saarländischer Museumsverband)
The Saarland Museums Association (Saarländischer Museumsverband) List of museums in Saarland with addresses, opening times, contacts and a brief description of the collections. Links to available websites are provided.
- Art and Museums
An overview of the museum landscape in Saarland compiled by the Saarland Tourist Board (Tourismus Zentrale Saarland)
- The Saarland Cultural Heritage Foundation (Stiftung Saarländischer Kulturbesitz)
The Saarland Cultural Heritage Foundation is an umbrella organization that includes several noted museums and exhibition spaces in Saarland: Saarland Museum, Saarbrücken Art Gallery; the Museum of Pre- and Early History and the German Newspaper Museum.
- The Encyclopaedia of Artists in Saarland (Künstlerlexikon Saar)
A project managed by the Institute of Contemporary Art in Saarland (Institut für aktuelle Kunst im Saarland) at HBKsaar, the University of Art and Design Saar (Hochschule der Bildenden Künste). The project, which covers the period from the start of the twentieth century to the present day, publishes articles about artists, architects and designers in Saarland that contain biographical information, selected works, artistic categorization and classification and bibliographic references.
Völklinger Hütte (Völklingen Ironworks)
- Völklinger Hütte was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994. Not only is the site a monument to the region’s industrial past and its industrial culture, it also hosts a varied programme of exhibitions and cultural projects.
- The Saarland Künstlerhaus is a gallery and workspace in which contemporary artists and the public can interact and participate in a varied programme of events that include contemporary art shows, readings and discussions.
The Bosen Mill Arts Centre (Kunstzentrum Bosener Mühle)
The Bosen Mill Arts Centre is particularly well known for its art courses. It also hosts exhibitions, readings, workshops and concerts.